1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1/3 large can of ground peeled tomatoes
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Green Tabasco (or preferred hot sauce) to taste, optional
Shredded unsweetened coconut to taste, optional
Fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside.
- Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash with the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- Add chicken thighs, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool. Pour broth into a medium-sized bowl.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add olive oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, minced garlic, turmeric and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
- To the saucepan, add diced tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash. Stir to combine.
- Stir in reserved chicken broth, ground tomatoes and quinoa. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken.
- Stir the chicken and pepper into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, add optional ingredients, if desired, and serve.
This is a great stew for a cold fall or winter night!
– See more at: http://www.therighttrackwellness.com/kickin-chicken-stew-butternut-squash-and-quinoa#sthash.YQVOalRA.dpuf